International Journal of Health Sciences and Research

| Home | Current Issue | Archive | Instructions to Authors |

Original Research Article

Year: 2018 | Month: August | Volume: 8 | Issue: 8 | Pages: 46-51

Prevalence of HBV Infection among the Blood Donors of Southern Nepal: A Three Year Retrospective Study

Amit Kumar Patel1, Debnarayan Jana2, Nandita Jana3, Anand Kumar Chaurasiya4, Shyam Babu Prasad5, Niranjan Shah6, Ravi Kumar Bhaskar7, Rakesh Kumar Gupta8

1Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, Blood Bank Incharge, NMCTH, Birgunj, Nepal.
2Assistant Professor, Department of Physiology, NMCTH, Birgunj, Nepal.
3MSc. Passed Student, Human Physiology, Vidyasagar University, WB, India
4Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, NMCTH, Birgunj, Nepal.
5Assistant Professor, Department of Forensic Medicine, NMCTH, Birgunj, Nepal.
6,8Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry, NMCTH, Birgunj, Nepal.
7Assistant Professor, Department of Community Medicine, NMCTH, Birgunj, Nepal.

Corresponding Author: Amit Kumar Patel


Background: Blood is needed to be transfused in some life threatening situation. Safe blood transfusion is required to avoid transmission of transfusion transmitted infections (TTIs) like AIDS, Hepatitis, syphilis and Malaria etc. Our present study was designed to determine the seroprevalence of HBsAg in blood donors in our health institution.
Methods: Data from Blood Bank of the National medical College, Birgunj, Nepal, from 2014 to September 2017 were used in this study. The method of study was descriptive and comparative in retrospective aspect. All the HBsAg positive samples were tested by using ELISA for conformation. Finally all data were analyzed statistically by Chi-square test.
Results: Among 5798 blood donors, 89.8% donors were male and remaining 10.2% were females. There were 93.7% replacement donors and 6.3% were volunteer donor. Most of the blood donors (81.9%) were coming from rural area. We have found overall 29 (0.49%) HBsAg  positive individuals. Out of them higher frequency represented by females and the urban blood donor as compare to Male and rural area, respectively.
Conclusions: In conclusion, the overall prevalence of HbsAg positive individuals among blood donors of Southern Nepal are little bit decreases with increasing distribution in female and urban area.

Key words: HBV, HBsAg, Blood Donors, southern Nepal, Prevalence.

[PDF Full Text]