International Journal of Health Sciences and Research

| Home | Current Issue | Archive | Instructions to Authors |

Original Research Article

Year: 2017 | Month: July | Volume: 7 | Issue: 7 | Pages: 171-176

A Study to Evaluate The Effectiveness of Self Instructional Module on Knowledge Regarding Pap Smear Screening among Female Teachers from Selected Schools of Bangalore

Roshani Agrawal Khatry1, Biji Joseph2

1Lecturer, Lalitpur Nursing Campus, Nepal
2Professor; Principal and HOD of OBG Department Faran College of Nursing, Bangalore, India

Corresponding Author: Roshani Agrawal Khatry


Background: Women of all ages are concerned about cervical cancer. It is the second most frequent cancer in women worldwide. A Pap test can save a woman’s life by finding the earliest signs of cervical cancer.
Objectives: The aim of the study was to evaluate the effectiveness of self instructional module (SIM) regarding knowledge on Pap smear screening among female school teachers.
Methods and Materials: Pre and posttest design was carried out among 60 female schoolteachers from four schools, who were selected by Non Probability Purposive Sampling technique. Data collection was done using structured knowledge questionnaire. The obtained data were analyzed using descriptive and inferential statistics.
Results: In pretest, majority 68.3% had inadequate knowledge and the rest 31.7% had moderate knowledge. In posttest, after the introduction of the SIM, majority 70% of the respondents had adequate knowledge and rest 30% had moderate knowledge. The posttest mean score of knowledge 26.28 was comparably more than the pre test mean 13.38 and it was found to be statistically significant (t-value=18.80, df=59) at 0.05 level. Chi-square test revealed that there was statistically significant association between pre-test knowledge score with the socio demographic variables such as duration of marriage (χ 2=16.04), professional qualification (χ 2=8.69), experience in working area (χ 2=10.53), type of family (χ 2=8.10), and family income (χ 2=14.03) at 0.05 level of significance.
Conclusion: This study finding indicates that SIM was effective in enhancing the knowledge of female school teachers regarding Pap smear screening and can play a crucial role in reducing the incidence of cervical cancer.

Key words: Cervical cancer; Female school teachers; Knowledge; Pap smear screening; Self instructional module;

[PDF Full Text]